Finishing Up the Blackberries

It’s been over a month since Jared cleaned the blackberry patch out, and I finally got to putting in the posts and stringing the rope across to keep the blackberry plants somewhat in line. I did a considerable bit of trimming, also. Now I have a clear path on each side of the patch and one in the middle. We’ve been picking berries for several weeks and the yields are getting better.

Northeast corner of Blackberry Patch.
Center path into the Blackberry Patch.
Jared and Annabelle picking blackberries.

A Nice Rain

It stormed last night and finally didn’t pass us by. Looks like we got about 1-3/4 inches of rain. We had about a half inch earlier this week on Wednesday. I shouldn’t need to water for a few days. The garden really needed the rain.

The tomatoes are liking the rain.

Tomatoes are doing well, I got a couple of Lemon Boys and a Black Krim, along with the Early Girl IIs producing prolifically, as well as the Champion IIs, which are producing larger tomatoes than the Early Girls.

Pole Beans Planted

I pulled the remains of the peas out a couple of days ago and sprayed the remaining Canadian Thistle with roundup. Today, I weeded the bed by hand, and I planted pole beans and lazy housewife beans and the place where the peas had been. I hope I’m not too late getting these in.

Mid-Summer Thoughts

So we are now in the middle of July, and I have daily tomatoes and cucumbers, and the zucchini exploded from nothing earlier this week. What’s working and what isn’t. The rabbits damaged a few peppers, so I think I need to add a round of 2X6s on my second two beds. I think that might be enough to keep them out.

The celery root failed again. The first batch succumbed to the drought, and the second got eaten, likely by little bunnies. That bed is fenced, and I stapled the fence to the bed frame. But they likely got in under the south end. I’ll likely need to mound up dirt over the fence.

I was too late for Roma tomatoes from Goebberts and need to buy those by the beginning of June.

I didn’t get tomatillos in, and I need to prepare the ground for those in the fall.

The Early Girl II tomatoes have been producing since mid-June, and the Champion II plants are producing as well. These are both winners for early tomatoes.

The okra is not growing well, and that needs to get in earlier.

The basil in pots is doing well, and I probably need at least 3 pots and should seed every three weeks.

There is no reason to plant mustard greens.

8 romaine plants are enough. It bolts too fast to plant anymore. Parsley should be seeded early, like before May 1.

It looks like the Malabar spinach is doing very well in the pot. I’ll definitely do it that way next year.

Finally, Some Rain!

Rain has been threatening all week, but we never got more than a trace. Finally, overnight and into Sunday, we got over 1-1/2 inches of rain that fell steadily overnight, and throughout the day, so there were no washouts.

Fortunately, I got out yesterday and weeded almost all of the garden and tied up the Roma and Bush tomatoes, the Poblano peppers, and the two German Johnson plants in the Heirloom Garden that decided to creep across the ground. Perfect timing for once.