Horseradish (Maybe)

The weather warmed up a bit today after a long and cold March, so I made an attempt to get out at least a few horseradish roots so I could make a small batch of my traditional Easter horseradish.

The south end of the patch was still somewhat frozen, which isn’t surprising as most of it was under snow just a couple of days ago, but the part closer to the walk was soft. They were hard to find as the leaves were just beginning to sprout, and digging in the wet ground wasn’t pleasant. I managed to get about 6 nice roots out.

Between that and the large root I bought at Heinen’s, I was able to make 5 large jars and 7 or 8 small ones. If I have time, I might do another batch after the ground warms up.